Reading Time: 10 mins | Publish Date: 3 Apr 2021 | Update Date: 22 Jun 2022
How to Prepare For ITIL: ITIL-4 Foundation Exam
Preparation Guide for ITIL: ITIL-4 Foundation Exam
ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) is the most widely accepted approach to IT service management in the world. ITIL can help individuals and organizations use IT to realize business change, transformation and growth.
The purpose of the ITIL 4 Foundation qualification is to introduce you to the management of modern IT-enabled services, to provide you with an understanding of the common language and key concepts, and to show you how your organization and your work can improve with the ITIL 4 guidance. The Foundation qualification is a prerequisite for the higher ITIL 4 qualifications.
ITIL 4 Foundation enables candidates to look at IT Service Management through an end-to-end operating model for the creation, delivery and continual improvement of tech-enabled products and services.
Candidates should expect to gain competencies in the following areas after successful completion of the certificate exam:
- An understanding of the ITIL 4 service management framework and how it has evolved to adopt modern technologies and ways of working.
- An understanding of the common language and key concepts, and to show them how they can improve their work and the work of their organization with ITIL 4 guidance.
ITIL Exams are for people who:
- Individuals at the start of their journey in Service Management
- ITSM Managers and aspiring ITSM Managers
- Individuals working in other parts of “IT” (digital, product, development) with strong interface with service delivery
- Existing ITIL qualification holders wishing to update their knowledge.Individuals at the start of their journey in Service Management
- ITSM Managers and aspiring ITSM Managers
- Individuals working in other parts of “IT” (digital, product, development) with strong interface with service delivery -Existing ITIL qualification holders wishing to update their knowledge.
ITIL 4 Foundation is suitable for individuals who require a basic understanding of the ITIL framework and how it may be used to enhance the quality of IT service management within an organization. The certification also applies to IT professionals who work within an organization that has adopted ITIL and so need to be aware of and contribute to the overall service improvement programme.
ITIL 4 continues to support the ITSM community while expanding to a wider range of professionals working in the digital world, guiding how IT interfaces with, and leads the wider business strategy.
Introduction to ITIL: ITIL-4 Foundation Exam
ITIL 4 Foundation is an entry-level service management certification course that helps one to explore end-to-end IT service model for creation, delivery, and continual improvement of services offered that aligns as per the enterprise strategy.
The ITIL 4 Foundation qualification is intended to introduce candidates to the management of modern IT-enabled services, to provide them with an understanding of the common language and key concepts, and to show them how they can improve their work and the work of their organization with ITIL 4 guidance. Furthermore, the qualification will provide the candidate with an understanding of the ITIL 4 service management framework and how it has evolved to adopt modern technologies and ways of working.
The ITIL Foundation is the entry level qualification in the ITIL certification scheme. ITIL is a globally adopted set of best practices for IT service management, and ITIL Foundation certification is seen as valuable by recruiters and companies around the world. Achieving ITIL Foundation certification means that you have an understanding of what ITIL is, where it has come from, key terms and processes, and how it can be used to help an organisation.
Many companies in the public and private sector use ITIL processes to run their IT departments, so they look for ITIL certified staff who can fit in with their existing teams. In 2014 alone, 303,497 people around the world took ITIL exams to help them progress in their careers. Around the world, more than a million people hold ITIL certifications.
There are two versions of the ITIL Foundation certificate live in 2020:
- ITIL v3 (2011 edition) Foundation Certificate
- ITIL 4 Foundation Certificate (released February 11th 2019)
- ITIL 4 is the most recent version of ITIL. However, some delegates may still wish to take the ITIL v3 certificate because their job requires it, or because they intend to become an ITIL v3 Expert and take the bridging course to become and ITIL 4 Managing Professional. You can read more about the ITIL 4 certification scheme in our blog.
The ITIL 4 Foundation examination is intended to assess whether the candidate can demonstrate sufficient recall and understanding of the ITIL 4 service management framework, as described in the syllabus below, to be awarded the ITIL 4 Foundation qualification. The ITIL 4 Foundation qualification is a prerequisite for the ITIL 4 higher level qualifications, which assess the candidate’s ability to apply their understanding of the relevant parts of the ITIL framework in context.
ITIL advocates that IT services are aligned to the needs of the business and support its core processes. It provides guidance to organizations and individuals on how to use IT as a tool to facilitate business change, transformation and growth.
ITIL 4 Foundation candidates will have an understanding of the following:
- A holistic approach to the facilitation of co-creation of value with customers and other stakeholders in the form of products and services
- The guiding principles of ITIL 4
- The four dimensions of Service Management
- Key concepts from Lean, Agile, DevOps, and why these are important to deliver business value
- How ITIL practices described in ITIL 4 will maintain the value and importance provided by the current ITIL processes, whilst at the same time expand to be integrated to different areas of service management and IT, from demand to value
- Understand the key concepts of service management
ITIL: ITIL-4 Foundation Exam is a fundamental exam. Successful completion by candidates will allow them to achieve further ITIL 4 Practitioner status.
Understanding functional and technical aspects of ITIL: ITIL-4 Foundation Exam
The ITIL service value system (SVS) is a model demonstrating how all the components and activities of an organization work together to facilitate value creation through IT-enabled services.
These components of the SVS include:
- The ITIL service value chain
- The ITIL practices
- The ITIL guiding principles
- Continual improvement
The ITIL service value chain is a set of interconnected activities that an organization performs in order to deliver a valuable product or service to its consumers and to facilitate value realization. It provides an operating model for service providers that covers six key activities, applying practices to continually improve the enabled values.
The ITIL practices are sets of organizational resources designed for performing work or accomplishing an objective. Activities in the service value chain can be based on established practices. The ITIL guiding principles are recommendations that can guide an organization in all circumstances, regardless of changes in its goals, strategies, type of work, or management structure. The ITIL guiding principles assure that the organization performs in a consistent, effective and efficient way.
Governance is the means by which an organization is directed and controlled. The organization’s governance is based on a consistent set of guiding principles. Governance enables the organization to ensure that its operations are always aligned with its strategy.
Continual improvement is a recurring organizational activity performed at all levels to ensure that an organization’s performance continually meets stakeholders’ expectations.
Using all these components, the service provider can continually improve its services. Continual improvement is a core component of the SVS, as in previous versions of ITIL guidance. It is based on the continual improvement model (Figure 10) and supported by various ITIL practices.
In a holistic approach, ITIL 4 covers all four dimensions required for the effective and efficient facilitation of value for customers and other stakeholders in the form of products and services. The SVS should be considered from all of these four dimensions:
- Organizations and people
- Information and technology
- Partners and suppliers
- Value streams and processes
These four dimensions should be managed in an integrated way, balancing their contribution to an effective SVS.
The following will be discussed in detail:
- Recall the definition of Service, Utility, Warranty, Customer, User, Service management, Sponsor
- Describe the key concepts of creating value with services such as Cost, Value, Organization, Outcome, Output, Risk, Utility, Warranty
- Describe the key concepts of service relationships such as Service offering, Service relationship management, Service provision, Service consumption
- Understand how the ITIL guiding principles can help an organization adopt and adapt service management
- Describe the nature, use and interaction of the guiding principles
- Explain the use of the guiding principles such as Focus on value such as Start where you are, Progress iteratively with feedback, Collaborate and promote visibility, Think and work holistically, Keep it simple and practical, Optimize and automate
- Understand the dimensions of service management
- Describe the four dimensions of service management like Organizations and people, Information and technology, Partners and suppliers, Value streams and processes
- Understand the purpose and components of the ITIL service value system
- Describe the ITIL service value system
- Understand the activities of the service value chain, and how they interconnect
- Describe the interconnected nature of the service value chain and how this supports value streams
- Describe the purpose of each value chain activity like Plan, Improve, Engage, Design & transition, Obtain/buildDeliver & support
- Know the purpose and key terms of 15 ITIL practices
- Recall the purpose of the following ITIL practices: Information security management, Relationship management, Supplier management, IT asset management, Monitoring and event management, Release management, Service configuration management, Deployment management, Continual improvement, Change enablement, Incident management, Problem management, Service request management, Service desk, Service level management
- Recall definitions of the following ITIL terms like IT asset, Event, Configuration, item, Change, Incident, Problem, Known error
- Understand 7 ITIL practices
- Explain the following ITIL practices in detail, excluding how they fit within the service value chain Continual improvement (5.1.2)
- The continual improvement model Change enablement, Incident management, Problem management, Service request management, Service desk, Service level management
Who should take the ITIL: ITIL-4 Foundation Exam
- Individuals who require a basic understanding of the ITIL framework and how it may be used to enhance the quality of IT service management within an organization. The certification also applies to IT professionals who work within an organization that has adopted ITIL and so need to be aware of and contribute to the overall service improvement programme.
- Professionals who want and are preparing to EARN ITIL 4 certifications
How much ITIL: ITIL-4 Foundation Exam
- Examination Name: ITIL: ITIL-4 Foundation Exam Passing Score: 26 or higher
- Length of Exam: 60 min
- Types of questions: Performance Based Questions
- No. of Questions: 40 Questions
- Examination Fees: $380 USD
How to book the ITIL: ITIL-4 Foundation Exam
Register or log in on ITIL website, or visit the Candidate Portal, or contact ITIL Support for more information.
Average Salary of ITIL: ITIL-4 Foundation Exam Certified Professionals
The average salary of a AI-900: Microsoft Azure AI Fundamentals Exam Outlook and Modules Exam Certified Expert in:
- United State - 104,212 USD
- India - 5,31,517 INR
- Europe - 82,650 EURO
- England - 75,152 POUND
The benefit of obtaining the ITIL: ITIL-4 Foundation Exam Certification
If you work with F5 on a daily basis you are well aware there is more to becoming an F5 expert than memorizing commands and configuring BIG-IP modules. True application delivery administrators / engineers know you need skills ranging from networking, server administration, security, to development.
Difficulty in Attempting ITIL: ITIL-4 Foundation Exam
If the user has successfully passed the ITIL-4 practice exam and has been through ITIL-4 dumps then the certification exam will not be too much difficult as the user has shown aptitude for understanding complicated processes.