Reading Time: 6 mins | Publish Date: 3 Apr 2021 | Update Date: 20 May 2022
Certified Application Developer - ServiceNow Training and Certification
Preparation Guide for ServiceNow CAD Certification Exam
The ServiceNow Certified Application Developer Exam certifies the candidate having the skills and essential knowledge to develop applications and solve business problems.
Aim of the Certificate Exam
- Provide individuals with a mark of excellence that is extremely recognized by the clients and seeks within across the industries
- Differentiate individual in a crowded job market
- Empower individuals to execute tasks with confidence and skill
Upon successful training and certification, the candidate will be able to
- Design an application including business logic, user interface, and database logic
- Determine if an application is a good fit with ServiceNow platform capability
- Design and implement a user interface taking into consideration usability, form design, platform (desktop, tablet, and/or smart-phones), and enhancing the user experience with scripts
- Write, test, and debug client-side and server-side scripts
- Implement security for an application using both contextual security and application scope
- Automate application using work-flow, document feeds, email, scheduled script executions, and events
- Create and use application properties
- Integrate application to external data sources
- Manage applications including migration, downloading and installing, and managing source code
Following are the quick details related to the ServiceNow Certified Application Developer Certification Exam
Exam Name: Certified Application Developer - ServiceNow Training and Certification
Exam Code: ServiceNow CAD Certification Exam
Number of Questions: 60 Questions
Duration: 90 minutes
Exam type: Multiple Choice Questions
Exam Price: $150 (USD)
Exam Mode: Online Proctored Exam. Candidates can take the examination from any place at any time as per their convenience. Candidates also have the option to give exams at any of the authorized training centers. Candidates have to select the exam mode based on their convenience at the time of registration. In both testing venues, the exam is conducted through a consistent, friendly, user interface customized for ServiceNow tests.
Exam Registration: Registration should be done using the ServiceNow Webassessor. For successful exam registration, candidates must have exam vouchers that can be obtained on completing the training for Application development fundamentals.
Valid Attempts: Candidates failing to pass the exam, can register again to take the exam up to three times.
This certificate verifies the fundamental knowledge to become a development consultant ensuring if the candidate is skilled enough of practically applying the knowledge gained through pieces of training and practical experience of working within the projects.
The ServiceNow CAD Certification Exam is targeted to ServiceNow customers, Partners, sales engineers, and others interested in creating applications over the ServiceNow platform. This exam certifies the candidates are skilled enough for creating and modifying the application on the ServiceNow platform.
Topics to Cover
ServiceNow CAD exam is based on the learnings, key topics, and activities encountered during ServiceNow implementations.
Following are the major learning domain, sub-skills along with their weight-age in the examination, giving you a clear view of which topics and skills inclusive, you should focus on for the certification. Note: The list and details are not an all-inclusive content list. ServiceNow reserves the right to change and update the content (topics, sub-skills, and weight-age) at any point in time.
Designing and Creating Application: 15% Determine if an application is a good fit with ServiceNow Design and implement a data model Create modules Use Application Scope
Application User Interface: 20% Create, design, and customize forms Add/Remove fields from forms and tables Write, test, and debug client-side scripts for desktop Write, test, and debug server-side scripts Use a Record Producer as an application’s UI
Security and Restricting Access: 20% Restrict access to applications and application modules Automatically create application Access Controls Manually create, test, and debug Access Controls Use Glide System methods to script security Use Application Scope to protect application artifacts
Application Automation: 20% Write, test, and debug Work-flow and Flow Designer Implement and use Document Feeds Create and use Application Properties Create Events, Schedule Script Executions (Scheduled Jobs), Utils Script Send and receive email Design and create a Homepage and reports
Working with External Data: 10% Import data in CSV or Excel format Integrate, test and debug external data source using SOAP and REST
Managing Applications: 15% Download and install applications Use Delegated Development to manage source code and code review Use the ServiceNow Git integration to manage source code
Based on the above-mentioned syllabus and their related weight-age, it is clear that there is no one topic a candidate should focus on or a candidate can leave while preparing for the examination. The candidate needs to go through and be proficient in every topic.
Questions in the exam are based on official training material provided by ServiceNow over different official platforms. Also the information in these pieces of training is the source for the exam. Hence, Candidates should complete the following training courses before appearing for the certification exam.
On successful completion of training, candidates will receive voucher codes, using which they can register for the examination.
Apart from this, ServiceNow recommends candidates to go through the following pieces of training and courses for better understanding of platform and development fundamentals
- ServiceNow Fundamentals (ILT)
- ServiceNow Implementation Methodology (SIM) Fundamentals (eLearning)
- ServiceNow Platform Implementation (ILT)
- Integration Hub Fundamentals
- Mobile Development Fundamentals
- Performance Analytics Essentials
- Service Portal Fundamentals
- Service Portal Advanced
- Certified System Administrator
Candidates can get the details for these trainings on Now Learning portal
The certification exam also verifies the ability of the candidate to practical experience and expertise of the candidate, hence candidates with following work experience or knowledge will always have an upper hand during the examination
- Certified ServiceNow System Administrator
- At least six months of hands-on experience developing applications on the ServiceNow platform
- Connect or be a member of various ServiceNow developer groups that allow developer access to ServiceNow
- General familiarity with industry terminology, acronyms, and initial-ism
The examination consists of 60 Questions. Candidates should attempt maximum correct answers for a better score.
Formats of Question
- Single Response Multiple-choice questions: Only One correct response from the given options best suits the statement or answers the question.
- Multiple Response Multiple-choice questions: Two or More Correct response from the given options best suits the statement or answers the question.
- True or False questions: the candidate will be presented with a statement and has to specify the correct option for the statement if the statement is either true or false
Candidates will have 90 minutes for attempting 60 questions. So, it becomes important for the candidates to time-box the exam and restrict spending too much time on one question or one topic.
The ServiceNow CAD certification is a pass or fail exam. The examination is scored against a minimum standard established by ServiceNow who are guided by the certification industry best practices and guidelines. On successful submission of the certification examination, result in the form of Pass or Fail result is immediately calculated and displayed to the candidate. No further details will be provided to the candidate.